Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Thoughts Post for Janelle

A couple of weeks ago, Laura, emailed me and asked me if I would join her today in doing something special for Janelle Hayes. If you don't know Janelle... she is a sweet blog friend whom I have actually been able to meet once in real life. Janelle has been recently diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumor.

Laura's ideas for our posts were to maybe share an encouragement card, share a bible verse, but most importantly... to glorify God in some way! Laura knew that would mean the most to Janelle.

As I began to think about what I was going to make... I just felt really compelled to just talk! I use to post what I like to call ... rambling posts... quite often and have gotten away from that somewhat. Janelle always read and either commented on my posts or emailed me to tell me her thoughts on what I talked about. Janelle has always been the kind of friend to listen, encourage, and give advice when needed. I appreciate her and respect her and her opinion/advice!

As I read Janelle's blog daily, I feel like I can understand some of what she is going through. The key word is SOME! When I was going through my cancer scare... even though it was not as serious as what Janelle is going through.... it scared the crap out of me. Most of all... because I had a 2 year old at the time that I did not want to leave!

As horrible as my experience was for me... I wouldn't trade it for anything! You see... God can turn anything bad into something good for His glory! It was always easy for me to say..."this life is not about me"... but sometimes it takes being confronted with losing your life before you really get that! It doesn't mean that it isn't a struggle to 'keep that' because it is... which is probably the reason for my lack of rambling posts. I have gotten back to being more concerned about what I call 'my life'! You see... our sinful nature makes us focus on us and what we want instead of what is really important... praising God and living with the mindset of this life is not my own. Our world is so backwards! The things that we think are important... status, a big house, nice cars, fancy clothes, lots of craft stuff (had to throw that one in), etc etc... are SO NOT IMPORTANT and it is really sad how much time and attention that we give to those THINGS! Okay... I feel like I am starting to get off track so let me switch gears! That is a post for another day! :)

So... I know Janelle is feeling so much joy and love through all of this from all of the cards, gifts, food, prayers, etc that she is receiving! Although 'we' are the ones actually mailing the cards or preparing the food.. God is the mastermind behind it all. Gods timing is perfect. God is using us to comfort Janelle through all of this and I will bet my right arm that Janelle would probably say that she has received so many things at just the right time. Maybe a card with a verse that brought her comfort when she needed it... or a hug from a friend when she really needed to be held at that moment.

I have several stories to share from my own cancer experience but one in particular that I wanted to share with you (again) today!

A couple of months before I found out about my cancer... I received an email from a sweet lady who I did not know very well at all. I was a pretty new follower of her blog. I had left a comment one day on a set of coasters that she had made. They had a different scripture on each coaster. Out of the blue, this woman emailed me and offered to send me 4 coasters for free. Now... I am really not the free kind. I have a hard time with free. After begging her to let me pay... she told me that God wanted her to make and send me these coasters. She asked me not to take that blessing away from her... to just take them.. so I reluctantly agreed. She asked me to go to a website (a stamp company) and pick out 4 scriptures ... out of probably 25-30... to put on my coasters. At the time... I didn't really think about the scriptures that I chose.

After I found out about my cancer... one night I was in my craft room and I looked down at the coaster that still to this day sits by my computer. The scripture reads....

Fear not, for I AM WITH YOU; Be not dismayed for I AM YOUR GOD. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I WILL UPHOLD YOU with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

I knew right then why God told the woman (her name is Betty by the way) to send me the coasters. God was comforting me before I even knew that I needed it!! What an Awesome Father!!

I went to get the other coasters so I could read them....

GOD  did not give us a spirit of fear, but a SPIRIT OF POWER, of LOVE and of a SOUND MIND. 
2 Timothy 1:7

He who dwells in the shelter of THE MOST HIGH will rest in the shadow of THE ALMIGHTY. Psalm 91:1


GOD IS MY SALVATION; I will trust and not be afraid. THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH and my song; He has become my salvation. Isaiah 12:2

Pretty cool, huh? :)

God is so Good and is worthy of my praise... and your praise... and your praise! No one on this earth will ever love me like my Father does! I love Him so much and I am so thankful that He loves me even though I don't deserve it!

I felt compelled to share that story for my friend, Janelle! I know she will find comfort in those verses... just as I did and still do!

Please remember to keep praying for Janelle!


Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read my ramblings! :)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD!!! I had thought about doing a blog hop of some sort for Janelle too, but other things got in the way of me actually doing it, or joining in on this one...sorry Janelle! :(
But I do agree 100% on your post! Janelle is an AWESOME women of God and He is going to use her and her situation in a BIG way! I will continue to pray for a complete healing for Janelle, in Jesus name Amen!
~Winter :)

Janelle said...

Tears are streaming down my face... I'm very, very touched. Thanks for the verses... thanks for the love! Loving you back, Kelley (and Winter)!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kelley. I felt tingles all the way from my toes reading that. The Holy Spirit was speaking through your words today. What a magnificent way to honor Janelle -- and our Lord.

Alanna said...

Beautiful words Kelley and what a compelling story.

Annette Allen said...

wow..you have touched my heart... I hope that many people will get the chance to read your story and come to know the Lord...Thanks for sharing..

Susan Raihala said...

Thank you for this post. Beautiful.

Sarah Craig said...

I've heard you tell that story before, but it still amazes me at how our God loves and cares for us through others who are willing to listen to Him and obey! (And it helps if we listen and obey too, despite our own tendencies!) Praying for Janelle!!